SBC Disaster Recovery Managers ask not to load and send trailers full of items. It is expensive and labor intensive to load, transport, unload, STORE, and distribute, Give generously
through ncbaptist.org, scbaptist.org, SBDR.org/hurricanerelief or through the MBA. The MBA is collecting gift cards and funds to deliver to SBC command centers on the front lines. Please remember faith-based organizations are better equipped to meet spiritual needs and provide emotional comfort than secular response teams.
The BEST response is to provide:
- Funds to the state convention or association on the front lines of the disaster. MBA DR can take your donation at the MBA and will send it to the highest need area.
- Gift cards are easy to collect, transport and distribute, a gift card allows the person to get the specific food, clothing, cleaning or repair supplies they need. Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart will be open as soon as generators and facilities are deemed safe. Fast food options will be welcome if they have been eating from feeding units.
- If you have contact with a specific church, with a specific needs list, then load up a box truck and take it to that specific location. Remember the needs change every 3-5 days, so collection and transportation often means arriving with obsolete requests. Remember roads may be closed and crowded for an extended time. Everything you take will need to be unloaded, stored and distributed, taking volunteers from other essential tasks.
- Remember trained volunteers with credentials will have access prior to untrained volunteers.
- Secular response options are not equipped to meet spiritual needs among hurting people.